An instrument is a device or tool – something used to accomplish a task or achieve some result. Let’s look at some simple instruments – a can opener, a car steering wheel, a mop, a spoon, a drum. These are all instruments we are familiar with and though different, they all have some common characteristics. These include the following:
- No instrument makes itself – every instrument has a maker (a manufacturer)
- Every instrument is made for a purpose – what it is intended to accomplish determines the design and composition; purpose precedes product
- An instrument is made to be used – for example a parked, clean and polished car is not useful if it’s not driven; if it cannot get someone from point A to point B
- An instrument is made to benefit others not itself
- Each instrument functions best at what it was made to do- it becomes less useful when it is used to do something it was not designed for
- A functional instrument does what the person using it requires of it when it is required – essentially it has no will of its own
And so are we - people are like instruments and God is the Manufacturer. For every person that God created He had a purpose in mind for which He made him/her the way He did. You are here on earth for a reason, to accomplish a divinely appointed purpose. You were uniquely put together - your features, your background, your experiences - all have been orchestrated by the Maker to shape you into the instrument that can accomplish what he had in mind.
Your life here on earth is not about you; it’s not to have a good life, prosper and die. No, you are here to in some way (as designed and destined by God) be a blessing to others. Your life essentially is not about you. To be the best YOU that you can be, is to be and do what you have been called to do and not be an imitation of another person. If you are to be effective in accomplishing your destiny as set by your maker, you have to give up your will and be totally yielded to God’s agenda, God’s Spirit, God’s Word.
In a nutshell: We are instruments made by God and intended to be used by Him (how He chooses and when He chooses) to add value to the lives of others around you. Acquisitions and accomplishments that benefit you alone will leave you feeling ‘empty’ unless these serve others. Your fulfilment ultimately comes from being who God made you to be and doing that which He made you for.
It is God himself who has made us what we are and given us new lives from Christ Jesus; and long ages ago he planned that we should spend these lives in helping others. [Ephesians 2:10; TLB]
TO DO: What gifts do you have that when used really bless others and not you? Use them! Sincerely ask God to use you to do that which He made you for.